Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grass Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyRetherford

Civil/Environmental
Mar 17, 2010
US
Has anyone had any success with stabilized grass parking? I live in Florida and we have designed many grass parking lots for churches and park areas. The problem occurs when the owner/contractor starts to slice the budget. The first thing to go is the "tuff-track" or similar system thet was specified for parking lot support. It usually ends up being a stabilized section with sod. Of course when it rains and saturation occurs, then rutting occurs only to compound the problem.

If anyone is aware of an inexpensive solution to this, I would love to hear it. Or if a natural section (rock, sand, stabilized section)has been used with any success, that would be great.

We are in the process of designing two more churches and I would really like to provide a good finish.Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To be honest, that sort of plastic cellular reinforcement would be my first (and cheapest) suggestion, ultimately going up to something like Grasscrete blocks, depending on volume and type of traffic expected.
I can't think of another form of construction that will maintain a decent, thriving, grass covering whilst supporting vehicle movements. It needs some form of support/protection.

The original intent is to provide grass parking. There is a provision in our code that allows for 50% grass parking for churches.

Upfront, the owners see this as a an opportunity to take advantage of the grassed area for recreation. Once the project starts and things start getting cut from the budget, it's usually the structural design of the grass parking that goes first.

I would also suggest the plastic cellular reinforcement that Debaser mentioned. Although I'm not from Florida, I've been down there a lot, I've seen the plastic cells used on the Blackpoint Wildlife Drive on Merrit Island (National Wildlife Refuge). It looked to me like it stands up pretty good. That drive goes through a really wet area and the plastic grid keeps it from eroding.

I don't know the manufacturer of the one they used, you might be able to get someone on the maintenance division to give you that info.

Meanwhile, this is what the material looks like:

The plastic is thick but flexible. The like is to a foreign website, but I can't think of the manufacturer over here, I know I have seen it in a brochure before.

Hope this helps.

Things should be cut from the budget before the project gets started/bid. Once the project is started it should sail as planned (ideally). If the owner decides they can't afford the grass parking as designed then there is no grass parking or document that it was their decision to change the design against your recommendation.

At my previous job we re-did a gravel fairgrounds area (100,000 sf) with a modular plastic product for the base of a grassed area. Modi garden grid, grass pave was an alternate.

Unfortunately we had proposed a new drainage system which was cut prior to bidding by the owner due to cost restrictions. Not our fault because it was a documented cut by the owner in lieu of our original recommendations. Prior to the cut it was well documented in meeting minutes that it was thier decision to go against our recommendations. Drainage was a problem in the long run.

This area experienced heavy traffic during warm seasons. Semi traffic on the weekends. I believe there was an 8 or 12 inch gravel base below the garden grid to act as a base.

Cut items before bidding and document well to show you are not responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back