Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grating inside factory line washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travh2008

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2012
US
I am currently a manufacturing engineering co-op at a factory, and I have a task that is beyond my experience. I'm hoping some of you more experienced than me can give me some tips on how to approach this.

Problem: At my factory, we have a line washer that carries steel parts through the machine by means of a hanging conveyor system. When workers walk inside this washer, they have to walk on a platform (or walkway) that is already built into the washer floor. The current platform is only 10" wide, and directly underneath the conveyor line that always has parts hanging from it. This makes it extremely hard, and almost impossible, for our workers to walk inside the machine to perform regular maintenance tasks.

My task: An engineer approached me and asked me to draw him the layout of the machine so that we may install grating to increase the safety for our workers. I can do this, but I'm not sure what the best method of installing this grating would be. I researched types of grating, and decided that stainless steel stair tread is best to use in this situation. But I have two concerns about this issue.

1. The stair tread has to be connected to the existing walkway and the wall of the line washer. Is there any advantage to adding a steel angle, or some type of support to the walkway or washer wall? Or can it just be connected it with no issues.

2. Should the grating be bolted or welded? I would think welding inside a line washer would be ridiculously annoying and should be avoided if possible. That leads me to consider just securing the grating to the washer with stainless steel screws/nuts/washers, but I'm worried that the moisture getting inside the cracks might corrode something in the wall down the road.

That was quite a bit to read, but if anyone braved through it all, I would appreciate any advice you can spare for a student. School hasn't taught me anything about this subject, so I'm just trying to approach it with common sense as best I know how.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If by 'stair tread' you mean diamond plate, then you have more reading to do.
If you mean 'bar grating', then you are on the right track.
... and you should also consider fiberglass bar grating.

Bar grating is not normally attached directly to anything, but dropped into angle frames that are bolted or welded as appropriate, and then optionally held down with clips. Such clips are usually discarded the first time the grating has to be removed for cleaning or maintenance.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mike,

As I understand it, there are multiple types of bar grating, so I tried to be specific by referring to it as "stair tread." I'll keep what you said in mind, and say bar grating when referring to it again.

Thanks for your advice.

Agree that bar grating, stainless or fiberglass, would probably be the right type material. As to the connections, if you can give us a sketch or photo, perhaps we can give you some ideas.

Mike, it's pretty standard in industrial situations I've seen to attach bar grating directly to the supporting channel or W-section with clips, or other connection types. While I've seen things framed up with angles to allow for fitup, they tend to be shorter spans and generally only in areas where you would expect frequent grating removal. Probably a regional difference.

Trav, you may want to check your local OHSA requirements. You may have widths and head height clearances you're supposed to meet that could be issues.

Pictures would be more helpful:

This is a picture of the line washer. Notice the gaps in between the pipes that are a safety hazard.

Here is a close up view of an already-present steel angle that I'm considering using, if it is strong enough. Otherwise I'll consider installing a stronger angle above it.

You could place blocking on the existing angles (Photo 1) then install the grating between pipe runs, spanning it perpendicular to the walkway; place it directly on the walkway for additional support. You would have a gap between sections where the pipes are, or you could cut the grating so that it fits around the nozzles (If you've ever been on the catwalks of an elevated NYC transit line, you'll plenty of cut outs in gratings.)

You could also place new gratings in the direction of the washer, on each side of the existing walkway. This would require additional framing. You would also have to raise the existing walkway or place a grating above it to keep all walkways at the same level.

"You could place blocking on the existing angles (Photo 1)."

I'm not familiar with the term "blocking". Are you saying that the sides of the angle aren't closed off, and should have some sort of barrier placed on top?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back