Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gravel Parking Lot Slopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo8

Civil/Environmental
Jun 19, 2017
US
I use a minimum of 2% slopes in gravel parking lots. My client wants to use 1% slopes due to the amount of fill that will need to be brought in from off-site. I explained the risks of using a slope less than 2% to the client, but he is willing to take the risks. Will I be liable when potholes and ponding water develop if I follow through with what the clients wants?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We usually shoot for 3% min. grades on gravel surfaces, so I agree with your concerns.

I would think if you express your concerns to your client in writing, and he/she responds and acknowledges your concerns in writing, you should be exonerated from future liability.

2% is OK, 1-1/2% is minimum I use. Compacted gravel is nearly impervious... water will pond on well graded stuff.

Dik

In the UK there is a big onus on CDM (Construction Design and Management) Regulations. They specify a designer as anyone who gives instruction (verbally, written etc). If the client specifies 1% they would become the designer and would take the responsibility for maintenance. As long as you highlight the possible outcomes e.g. pondig etc your duty is done (in my eyes anyways). (Of course anything that puts peoples safety at risk is different subject)

I would strongly recommend to your client that 1% is insufficient and that he should use something other than that. 1% is less than I would use for a flexible pavement.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back