Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gravity flow 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durk

Mechanical
Aug 14, 2008
AU
Hello,

I have a question regarding a gravity flow pipe scenario. Water flows through a wide-ish channel at its end it is collected by a 798mm (ID) pipe. I have used the attached Cole-brook White formula to calculate the velocity through the pipe at full flow. I am getting a velocity of about 3.5m/s and a flowrate of 1500l/s with 1% slope(seems high). I want to calculate the level in the pipe for my actual flow of 842l/s. I think i have to swap the diameter terms to the new wetted area e.g. 90% area, 80% area etc to find my 842l/s but i am unsure that its is as simple as this...

Does anyone know how to manipulate the formula to give me what i am looking for?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To use the Colbrook White equation fopr part full flow replace D by 4R. where R is the hydraulic radius = Area / Wetted Perimeter.

For a full pipe 4 x R = 4 x PI X D^2/ (4 x PI X D) = D

It is a lot easier to use Mannings equation !!

Thanks Bris,

I have previously viewed the above datasheets.Manning's is indeed alot easier especially with Bimr's calculator! But for the purposes of my piece of mind, i would like to continue to look at a method of solving this by colebrook white formula. I have attached my method used, from this you can see that i have incoporated a capacity value into the equation, it just isn't working as i had hoped, i always get a value of around 100% flow even if i sub in the Rh value for the D value in the equation. I was hoping somebody could have a look and maybe point out some obvious mistake in methology.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f5397e23-4398-42e6-a012-53b83af8de27&file=Gravity_Flow_in_Pipes.doc
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back