Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gravity Loaded Column Splices 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jike

Structural
Oct 9, 2000
US
For gravity loaded columns (with all downward load), is there a need to provide web plates? My preference is to require them along with flange plates. The AISC manual 9th edition shows no web plates provided on pages 4-132 and 4-133.

I realize that, in theory, there should be no shear at that the splice location, but from a practical standpoint with imperfections in fabrication and erection, etc., I feel that minimal web plates should be provided. I do not recall ever seeing a building erected without column web plates.

What are the opinion of others on this subject?

Jim K.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For our industrial and petrochemical structures I was involve, I have not seen a column splice without a splice plate on the web. It is an added assurance in splice connection.

Maybe AISC wants to emphasize in the calculation of splice without consideration on the web splice plate so as to make the design of flange splice plate strong enough to resist the gravity and lateral loads (I would always consider this combination, the splice are closely at 40ft height).

Regards,
[roll1]

There is a rationale behind web splices. The Australian Steel Institute's guide for design of bolted splice connections states that the web splice is designed for:
A - the proportion of the design bending moment on the web
B - the design shear force
C - a proportion of the design axial force

However, there is not complete agreement in the literature on which design actions are applicable for web splice design.

If you're interested, references include:

American Institute of Steel Construction
"Engineering for Steel Construction" 1986
This reference considers actions A, B and C (above)

Breler, Yin and Scalzi
"Design of Steel Structures" 2ED 1968
Actions A, B and C

CONSTRADO
"Steel Designers Manual" 4ED 1972
Actions B and C

Kulak, Fisher and Struik
"Guide to the Design Criteria for Bolted and Riveted Joints" 2ED 1987
Actions B and C

McGuire
"Steel Structures" 1968
Actions A, B and C