Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grease interceptor connection question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverStudent

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2010
US
Dear Members,

Model plumbing codes require indirect piping (air gap) when connecting food handling fixtures to the plumbing system. Typical arrangement for restaurants is: triple sink - grease trap - plumbing system. My question is - where it is preferable to put an air gap - upstream or downstream of grease trap. I saw recommendations to do it immediately after sink (which means upstream), but I doubt if it is going to work, because typical grease trap has flow control fitting upstream. Is it regulated by code?
Any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know where you're located, but the Illinois Plumbing Codes are online. They include, in Appendix E, illustrations which I believe would answer your questions.

Google: Illinois (or other state) plumbing code

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Dear Patricia,

Thank you very much for the response. I am in New York City, so the plumbing code is a little different and does not have illustrations. I saw the Illinois code but I believe that it does not describe this specific situation. As we know, codes are sometimes unclear.
BTW, if it looks like I violate somehow the rules of the forum (if so, it is really unintentionally), I will stop this thread immediately. Thank you very much again for your help.

I believe you are talking about grease trap. In Florida they required on the waste water lines, not sanitary. The purpose here is to keep the grease or cooking oils out of the sewer system whether it's a sptic or municipal sewer system. They are essentially a container that will separate the water from the oil. On some the oil is fed into another tank and is routinely pumped out.

I have on one my drains from the kitchen sink just to prevent any grease going into my septic system.

They are essentialy just a skimmer, Some of them depending on the design do require a syphon breaker on the downstream side, so that they do not syphon the grease out of the trap.
The other thing with these items, is to watch the material they are made from. Corrosion and rust through is very common on these, after they are put in service.
B.E.

Each state and some municipalities have their standardized plumbing codes. I just installed a brand-new one in my Pub (my sideline business). In Minnesota, there is no air gap at the connections, but you need to have a tell-tale floor drain hooked into the system, with vents before and after the grease trap. Your local public health authority would be the people to contact regarding restaurant and food service installations. Their codes often augment or take precedence over uniform codes.

See what your local codes require. However, keep in mind that these things are notorious for smelling horrible after a while, regardless of how well maintained they are. If at all possible/permittable, pipe continuously with vents before and after the unit.

I highly appreciate everyone's valuable responses, thank you very much, the installation configuration is now clear for me. In addition, are there special types of grease traps specifically for chocolate production related waste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back