Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grease / Waste / water flowmeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinook82

Industrial
Sep 26, 2003
A tough flow / totalizer application where waste water and grease is collected from restaurants and food processing. The flow is made up of grease trap waste with water at 3 to 5%, with food bits, sludge and grease up to 35% solids. It's the solids content that is the most critical.
All suggestion gladly received!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think a straight tube coreolis meter measuring the mass, that way it will measure the mass of entrained solids as well.
Split tube variety would plug up and lumpd cause zero drift.
Roy

Chinook,
What are you trying to measure, or use the measurement for? That may affect the flowmeter selection. Although a single tube mass flow meter is probably best for slurry application.

Mark Hutton

it sounds like the water / grease mixture fluctuates in your application. I wonder how accurately a coriolis would then measure the solid because of the fluctuating SG. I think nuclear is likely your best option, though this may not be acceptable in your process.

Chinook,
Returning to my original question, what are you doing with the measurements? If you only want to measure the total mass entering the plant then a mass flow meter is appropriate. If you need to know what the mass flow into the plant consists of (percent fat etc) then the mess flow meter is not suitable. So please advise what you need the measurement for and then we can advise the best solution.

Mark Hutton

Mass flow meters for such as this can be somewhat pedantic, such as a weight-type flowmeter. Fill the tub to a certain weight, divide by time, dump the tub, and repeat. It can be automated. Acrison, I believe, makes a device similar.

If the food bits are crushable without too much force, a positve displacement flowmeter works even better when there are hi-viscosity ladings. Nutating disc, Rotary piston, Oval Gear are all techniques. But all this is back to HEC's question: Whad do you want to learn from the flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back