Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Green Roof 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigory28

Structural
Oct 30, 2001
US
Does anyone know of a good reference for structural design of a green roof?

I have a lot of concerns since I have never done it before and would like to read about the latest research.
- Such as the roof freezing in winter which could cause lots of ponding.

Thanks,
Craig

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Craig, I have never designed or been involved in one until recently. And my involvement is as the owners rep on the project. The project is out for bids now.

I questioned the designers extensively. And I'm not totally sure they know what they are doing. But I'm told the following is critical or at least beneficial:

Use an engineered lightweight soil mix, with a high drainage value that precludes ponding. (Still seems odd to buy dirt but there are places that sell it for this purpose.)

Slope the deck for positive drainage.

You may need an irregation system since the soil mix will not hold moisture for days on end.

You may need to research vendors for a adequate waterproof membrane and protection system. My project is using a system by furnished by "Hydrotech USA" and includes a mambrane, root barrier protection, non-woven prefabricated crush proof air layer filter fabric, mositure retention mat, and a drainage/retention panel.

The system vendor's should have lots of information specific to your project.

If you have the LEED design manual, check that under any sections that reference green roofs. They have a very good reference listing at the end of each section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back