Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grenoble method for pile uplift verifications

brTCP

Structural
Oct 24, 2022
PT
Dear all,
I came across a document mentioning the "Grenoble Method" for pile uplift verifications. I need to understand the method because we were asked to used it in one of our projects for guyed mast foundations. However, I found very limited information online, and a vague reference to an article in french in 1966 (which I couldn't find). It seems popular in Brasil, but not so much elsewhere. Here is the formula provided in the document:

grenoble_oinvbu.png

The original document however provides very little information and it is impossible to understand what the symbols mean.
Does it ring any bells? Could you please guide me to sources that discuss the method?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Martin, D., 1966. Étude à la rupture de différents ancrages sollicitées verticalement. Thèse de Docteur-Ingénieur, Université de Grenoble

This one? Not that I can read French but 'These' sounds like it's a PHD Thesis...you might be able to jump through alot of hoops to get a copy if you contact Universite de Grenoble?

Also if you can find an English-speaking French engineer they might be able to answer without hte original paper - the symbols / terms in the formulae might be standard French ones? I've noticed in English translations of French design manuals they do seem to use different symbols than the normal ones used in Anglo countries.

Back