Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grey and Ductile Irons

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangoo

Materials
Apr 19, 2016
GB
I am trying to track down information about producing sound grey and ductile iron castings and I wonder if there is anyone here that can point me in the right direction, I am looking for some literature that is as in depth as possible so I can get down to the bare bones (similar to R.Wlodawer's "Directional Solidification on Steel Castings").

I work in a non-ferrous foundry that mostly works with copper based alloys and there is no-one here that can point me in the right direction, so I thought I would have a stab in the dark here to see if there was a resident expert on irons. I know this is kind of a "studenty" question and it is frowned upon in this forum but I can assure you I am not one :).

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look for literature in AFS, Ductile Iron Society, and Grey Iron handbook. Also lot of literature is available on the net and from Sorel metal experts .

If you have specific questions, there are several experts in this forum who can be of help, else enrol for some of the AFS training classes.

Hope, it helps.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

Thanks Arunmrao, I'll have a look. but unfortunately I don't live in the states so attending lectures will be a bit tough

Hi Swall, this isn't work related at the moment, but I would like to have the knowledge available if there does come a time when I am working with ferrous material. Steel is very similar to some of the short freezing range alloys I work with so my current skills are transferable. However, with Iron I have no clue where to start. From what I have read so far the alloy acts in such an alien way I want to have access to some credible information.

There are some helpful videos too (elearning )from AFS.

" Steel is very similar to some of the SFR alloys" . Yes, but remember the temperatures are in 1600C region, that pose severe restrictions and conditions.

Welcome to the ferrous metallurgy world!!

Mahatma Gandhi.

Dangoo--You will need to have an understanding of the role of graphite (flakes and nodules) on the effect of mechanical properties of the finished article. Then you will need to have an understanding on how silicon, carbon and solidification rate interact in the formation of various graphite morphologies.

Dangoo, a good place to start is the book [italic]Metallurgy For The Non-Metallurgist, Second Edition,[/italic] Chapter 10 entitled "Cast Irons". It looks like you are located in the United Kingdom. You might not need to purchase the book in order to read it since there are several libraries in the UK that carry it. You can locate one near you by using the following link:

Maui

@Maui, Thanks, I think I might have to track down a library with a copy as you've said, the price for a physical copy is so steep!

Also, Thank you to everyone who has posted in the thread, it has been a big help.

@ dangoo, Good luck in your efforts. Please remember, Knowledge is not cheap, respect the efforts of the authors.

Mahatma Gandhi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back