Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grid heater and flame heater after charge air cooling in diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ro_kru

Mechanical
May 14, 2021
CA
I was going through Diesel engine spec of Mercedes diesel engine. I see that there is an option for grid heater or flame heater after charge air cooler, means air to heat before it enters into intake manifold. Can someone, please, explain why one would need air to heat after charge air cooler if we divert air from turbocharger to get cooled in charge air cooler?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Under certain cold weather + cold start conditions, you may need to heat charge air briefly until cylinder temperatures are sufficient for continued running. Much depends on the specific engine model and use case. IE for a piece of equipment, difficult cold starts may not be enough of an issue for an added charge air heating system. For an emergency generator, where cold starts need to happen on the first try every single time without fail within a short startup time constraint, charge air heating may be necessary to ensure backup reliability.

Hello Swinny,
Thanks for responding.
Is it thermostatically controlled? So, when certain cylinder temp is achieved, it will shut down?

Perfect. I got the answer.
It is activated automatically if the temperature falls below a specified value and will shutdown at certain engine temp has reached.
Thanks,Swinny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back