Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grinding attachments for a CNC Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ineedto5s

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2018
US
I have an issue with carrier rings for a large lap table. They require a 45 degree chamfer in order to push the slurry on the table. Problem is that it's approximately a 16.5 inch alumina ring, and we do not have an grinder with a big enough chuck. We do however have a CNC lathe (with turret) with a big enough chuck. Any options to make this work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was hoping for something that could fit into a CNC lathe turret and be used. By no means does this need to hold tight tolerance. It is currently been done with a hand dermal.

Do you have live tooling on your turret? From what I see most of the mountings are DIY. There's probably a general reluctance to grind on a machine not meant for grinding - problems with grit getting under way covers and into coolant.

We make a lot of smaller components, so most of our equipment is aimed at the 0-3 inch diameter range. Yes one of them has live tooling.

I was wondering if we could do this on a jig grinder... set the work piece to over hang the table and rotate it under spindle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back