Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grip create new .prt from template?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moog3

Marine/Ocean
Nov 29, 2022
AU
I wonder if anyone can help me to edit a grip file, it works fine, but it creates a bunch of files, using the BLANK part, I'm wondering if i can get in to use my start part template instead.

the GRIP documents seems to read that this can't be done.
grip_gul4e1.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It has been a while since I wrote any GRIP but I think you can create a new part by setting the default new part template in the configuration file and then the Create/Part command will use that.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks for the reply Ben...can you explain? where is the configuration file?
another approach could be to use the seed file that is in session when the grip is run, ie: get it to copy the work part.
the grip is used to create a directory of part file's and a cascading folder structure, all parts have the work part name at the start of THEIR name.

If I remember correctly, in NX the ug_english or ug_metric definition files setup your working environment and provide the 'defaults' for a new part creation. The Create/Part command would then use these values for how to setup your file.
It has been 20 years since I played with GRIP and the Create/Part command. Has NX progressed to utilize seed or template parts for creating new objects?
I am now using Creo and we have a default part template file that contains all of the parameters/attributes that we use and it is copied by the system into the work session and renamed by the system to your entered new part name.

Ben Loosli

NX uses a template part for new part creation, but the Grip file I'm using, then seems to create all the other parts from a "blank" template (from the customer defaults setting), which means, any info, I add to the template part, don't get included into the parts (only the first one that I run the grip file in)

Not sure what GRIP is doing or how it utilizes template seed parts.
GRIP is obsolete and unsupported for many years now.

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back