Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GRIP Libraries or alternate means to create point tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YooJee

Aerospace
Feb 26, 2003
US
I've tried to search the 'net looking for GRIP functions lurking around out there, and have thus far been unsuccessful. Does anyone know of some site(s) that has some GRIP stuff available? Specifically, I am looking for a means of creating a point table via GRIP. We currently use the tabular note function to perform this task, but since we've just moved from V16 to V18, we've discovered the bug with the tabular note. I honestly don't know much about GRIP at this point, or I would try to create my own. Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the bug in tabular notes? I have used in V18.0.5.2 and V18.0.4.2 without problems.

Theer are a bunch of GRIP programs distributed with the UG install. They are under the load directory in GRIBLIB as a .tar file.

You can also goto UGanswer and search for sample programs. Not sure what you will find, but there may be some GRIP. I know there are a lot API program samples in there.

This is from the GRIPLIB, named pt_data.grs. You will need to have a GRIP Development license to compile it and GRIP execute to use it.

$$ PROGRAM: PT_DATA.GRS
$$
$$ KEYWORDS:
$$
$$ ABSTRACT:
$$ DISPLAYS A CHART SHOWING THE X,Y,AND Z
$$ COORDINATES OF X AMOUNT OF GENERIC POINTS.
$$
$$ RELEASE HISTORY:
$$ 01-FEB-91 Modified slightly by:
$$ Ken Lambrecht
$$ CAD Potential, Inc.
$$ 2820 Wilderness Place, Suite D
$$ Boulder, CO 80301-5454
$$ (303) 938-1224
$$
$$ Required Subroutines: (None)
$$
$$ REQUIRED DATA/PART FILES: (NONE)
$$
$$ AUTHOR: M A SICKING
$$ COMPANY: McDonnell Douglas
$$
$$ SYSTEM TYPE: VAXstation 3100
$$
$$ THEORY/VARIABLE USAGE:
$$
ENTITY/$
pt
NUMBER/$
x(100),y(100),z(100)
$$
MASK/2
count = 1
L1:
IFTHEN/count > 100
MESSG/'Max. of 100 points','reached.'
JUMP/L3:
ENDIF
GPOS/'PICK POINT '+ISTR(count)+' - TERM WHEN DONE',$
x(count),y(count),z(count),r
JUMP/L2:,L3:,L3:,,,r
count = count + 1
JUMP/L1:
L2:
count = MAXF(1,count-1)
JUMP/L1:
L3:
PRINT/' ID X Y Z'
PRINT/' '
DO/L4:,loop_count,1,count-1
PRINT/USING,'#@@ #@@@@.@@@@#@@@@.@@@@#@@@@.@@@@',loop_count,$
x(loop_count),y(loop_count),z(loop_count)
L4:
HALT
Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I'm on V18.0.3.2 and we also have some on V18.0.5.2. The bug is when you move the table in drafting, you lose the formatting of the cells. The more times you move it, the more it gets screwed up. When you move it, it connects to the spreadsheet, changes the formatting, then reconnects to drafting. We're also having some problems with it opening up the spreadsheet as soon as you open a part with a tabular note - and it takes several minutes to do so (waste of time). We're running smokin' machines, too. This is a known bug that has over 2400 incident reports at EDS. They say they've fixed it in NX2, but that'll be a while for we go to that. Thanks for the GRIP help!

Chris

how do you create the point list with the tabular note function? I would like it to have label,x,y,z,i,j,k... your help would be appreciated.

This is the procedure we've come up with for use with honeycomb panels, so insert/modify verbage to correspond with your application.

Unigraphics Point Table Procedures
1) –A model 3D setup
a. Place components of details as required.
2) –AD model 3D setup
a. Place component of –A model into 3D workspace of –AD model. Orient component with WCS in absolute position so axis is at datum point and XY orientation is same as defining drawing view.
3) Insert location point placement
a. Choose ‘assemblies-wave_geometry_linker’ from pull down menus and add points for use in generating table(s) in no particular order in 3D model space of –AD model. Locate points on penetrating side of panel. Layer points as appropriate 154 near side inserts/155 far side inserts/156 thru inserts (point placed on near side). Color points as appropriate for fastener size.
4) Insert location point attribute renaming
a. Choose ‘format-attribute-name-assign_name’ from pull down menus. Pick all the insert location points in order of naming, type ‘PT’ in first dialog box, then type starting number (with new drawing this would be number 1) in second dialog box. NOTE: Choose ‘information-object-type-point’ in pull down menus to verify point naming is correct.
5) (Optional step) Add insert labeling in views
a. Move into appropriate expanded view. Choose ‘file-execute_UG/open-grip’ from pull down menus. Choose program S:\griplib\source\grip\main\khardypointname.grx. Choose point and indicate text location as applicable. NOTE: Text placed in expanded view will need size adjustment to compensate for view scale (i.e. text would be 4X normal size for ¼ scale view). Move out of expanded view.
6) Point filtering
a. Choose ‘format-visible_in_view’ from pull down menus. Choose applicable view. Turn off layers for particular view as appropriate. NOTE: Do NOT ‘blank’ or ‘view-independent-edit’ points. Table program will not work correctly and model could be corrupted.
7) Point table spreadsheet generation
a. Choose ‘tabular_note’ icon from task bar. Choose ‘new table’ icon in dialog box. Excel spreadsheet appears.
8) Table title populating
a. Type ‘table_title’ in a cell row 1 in an unused column. (i.e. AEP1035-3S375 N.S.)
9) Cell text formatting
a. Choose whole field of spreadsheet (upper left corner). Format cells to center horizontally and vertically. Format cells to ‘12 pt’ text size.
10) Title cell text formatting
a. Choose title cell row 1/column D. Format cell to ‘14 pt’ text size.
11) Column title populating
a. Type ‘POINT’ in cell row 2/column A. Type ‘X’ in cell row 2/column B. Type ‘Y’ in cell row 2/column C.
12) Point number column populating
a. Type ‘PT1’ in cell row 3/column A. Type ‘PT2’ in cell row 4/column A. Highlight row 3/column A and row 4/column A. Copy contents of cells to populate as many cells as applicable.
13) 3D model to spreadsheet populating and linking
a. Highlight cells row 3/column B and row 3/column C. Type ‘=POINT(A3)’, then hold down ‘ctrl’ and ‘shift’ keys while pressing ‘enter’ key. NOTE: Populate the two horizontal cells together at same time to make link to 3D model work.
14) Cell decimal formatting
a. Choose all cells containing ‘point numerical values’. Format cells for 3 decimal places. Copy to populate as many cells in cols C and D as applicable.
15) Row height formatting
a. Choose all applicable rows. Format rows to ‘35 pt’ row height. Highlight row 1 and format row to ‘53 pt’ row height.
16) Column width formatting
a. Choose columns A, B and C. Format columns to ‘12 pt’ column width.
17) Title cell definition
a. Highlight title cell row 1/column D. Choose ‘edit-tabular_note_title’ from pull down menus.
18) Tabular note range definition
a. Highlight cells with ‘POINT’, ‘X’, ‘Y’ and ‘point numerical values’ as applicable. Choose ‘edit-tabular_note_range’ from pull down menus.
19) Cell auto-size default setting
a. Choose ‘options-tabular_note_options’. Check to make sure auto-size feature if turned off (no check mark in box).
20) Tabular note filing and generation
a. Choose ‘file-close_&_return_to_tabular_note’. Choose ‘ok’ in dialog box. UG files the spreadsheet and returns to drafting mode. Indicate tabular note location on drawing sheet.

Chris D. Adcock
Mechanical Design Engineer
B/E Aerospace, Flight Structures

[infinity]

Hello,
I have created a model file defining a 3-D weave for use as a composite preform
for an jet engine vane. This file contains 2800 short vectors (which define the
z components of the preform). My problem lies in exporting this data into a spreadsheet
for use by our vendors to create the preform. My only experience so far in using
spreadsheets in UG is in creating splines from a pt file, which is excellent for
creating single curves. Is there a solution to this problem (short of creating
2800 separate line files)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Eric

YooJee,
Are you still looking for a grip program for creating a point table. I have one that creates x & y coordinates but unfortunately are not associative to the points or features that are dimensioned but it can initialy be a great timesaver and simple to edit with text editor. We have used it in Tool Design and engineering for about 18 years.

Feel free to call me at 701-253-7799 or
email at wayne.huseby@goodrich.com

Wayne Huseby
Goodrich Corp
Jamestown, ND 58401

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back