Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ground preparation before slab 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

We are building a 30 by 40 shop with heated concrete pad. Does anyone know where I can find specifics on ground preparation on the internet. i.e. How deep, what to fill with. How to determine if it is packed enough, etc. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Volksie-
You should post this in the Foundation engineering forum. The answer depends almost entirely on what kind of soils conditions you have at the site, but also on the climate and building loads. The safest approach would be to hire a geotechnical engineering company, have them perform a soils test and provide you with recommendations.

Carl

dear i think the best thing to do is to make a test for the soil u r building on and by that u will have the best result about the depth u need to make ur foundations and the type of it and also the way to make to work go on and it will not cost u much

Sharky100 - What does "u" mean?? How about "r"? Is this English??

Doesn't take a lot longer for you to add "yo" in front of "u"; similarly "a(r)e" for are. It would make your thread a bit more professional looking. We aren't passing messages on pagers/mobiles.

Sorry - but this dinosaur is not one for these adulteration of the English written language (I don't even like "lite" for "light". And especially not "skool" for "school" - and this from an educational group!

Volksie,

the correct response is that you will not find specific recomendations on the internet for the conditions since soil conditions and types vary across the US and even across the block. Your answer lies in the kind of soils conditions you have at the site as well as the weight of the building (what the soils will be exspected to support), as well as that is your regional climate like and what is the site specific water levels at the site. The best way to handle your question is to consult with a local geotechnical engineering company, have them perform a soils test and provide you with recommendations. It removes the liabiliety from you if you should request the wrong thing. The Contractor will come back to you and ask you where you got your Engineering Degree from if there should be a problem.

Bob

Volksie is right on consulting a regional geotech. This is what most should do in these threads; still, threads are useful in getting "confused" so you know (?) what to talk to the geotech about!!

One item - forgetting my [soapbox] on proper English - is that you have mentioned a "heated" slab. One thing to keep in mind is that if your founding soils are clayey, the heating may cause some drying out of the clays with resulting shrinkage. Check out the opening chapter in Malcolm Bolton's book "A Guide to Soil Mechanics" (1979). He has a great case history (in a teaching mode) on such a situation (although it was a boiler). If interested, I would be happy to scan or digital photo the pages and send out. Just advise.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back