Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ground rod resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

olebob

Electrical
Jun 28, 2006
US
is there a way to check the resistance of a ground rod other than using a ground rod resistance meter,thanks--bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what a "ground rod resistance meter" is - BUT - there are several legitimate ways to check the resistance of a ground rod to "remote earth" (the traditional definition). What is your resistance to a "ground resistance meter"?

hello north slope,the meter i speak of is is a clamp on meter,kinda like an amp meter ,it slips over the ground rod ,you need not take the ground conducter lose to measure the the resistance of the rod,and very exspensive like 1300.00 bucks plus.what are the legit ways to check the groud rod resistance? thanks --bob

Well, typically when we install ground rods, and ground rings, isolated ground rings etc... We always provide the customer with a detailed megger sheet. So in short, megohm your ground rod!!

The other way to measure the resistance is a 3-point fall-of-potential method. Several manufacturers make instruments for making this measurement, AEMC and Megger for instance.

Although Megger makes ground resistance testers, this is not the same as a "megger" insulation resistance tester. In short, you can use a Megger ground resistance tester, but you can't megger your ground rod.

The Amec clamp-on ground tester is probably the best instrument you can get.
The three point fall of potential may work. I assume your in permafrost, if so your time has to be pretty cheap to set up the system in ground that's harder than concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back