Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ground Water Puzzle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozfish

Specifier/Regulator
May 21, 2001
AU
I have a ground water bore that has a high concentration of iron (40ppm) Manganese 2ppm Magnesium 10ppm and H2S. With pH adjustment and aeration I can get the majority of the contaminents out.

I am looking for various methods of removing the flock with a continuos feed period of approx 12-14hrs. 100,000 litres required per 24 hrs

I have been informed that the use of upflow clarifiers can have problems with temperature differential.

I will utilse the water in a fish farm and the minimal use of chemicals is of desire.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all
polymer flocculants can attach to fish's gills and kill them, so be careful there.

Following pH adjustment, use filtration methods, e.g. sand filters would work well at 20 gallons per minute, or increase settling basin retention time. Allow the metal hydroxides to settle unassisted.

Not sure where you are getting the temp differential. Can you explain? Also not familiar with upflow clarifier.

You can try to use the ground water treatment UWTP system - you can find info about it by doing search for "UWTP" in any major search engine.

your aeration treatment process should removing most of the iron and a little bit of manganese. Clarification (or plain settlemnt ) followed by filtration( either pressure of rapid sand filtration should suffice). The hydrogen sulphide will cuase problems with low pH so you might need some adjustment using caustic soda.

what is the pH of the water at the moment,.

You can use dissolved air flotation followed by sand filtration. Chlorine dosing prior to sand filters will remove the final manganese.

Temperate diff problems with well designed upflow clarifiers only really where there are extreme temp differences. Can be got round by insulation.

Your flow rate is too small to consider the use of a clarifier. Your best option is to use a multimedia filter. You will not have to use any chemicals with a multimedia filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back