Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

groundwater level in a nested piezo

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougHole

Structural
Sep 14, 2010
NZ
I have a nested piezometer that is screened between 5-6 m ("shallow") and 10-11 m ("deep")

The water level is measured at 3.2 m in the shallow piezo and 3.4 m in the deep piezo.

The soil is silty clay down to 20 m.

Does this suggest that we have a hydrostatic porewater pressure profile (10kPa/m) from say 3.4 m? i.e. no perched water level. If it is hydrostatic, why would there be a slight difference in the water levels measured?

Doug Hole
Junior Geotechnical Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've seen the phenomenon you're describing many times, but in very deep installations (>1000'). A significant difference in readings would indicate either a perched aquifer or a hydraulic gradient. I would say that your data indicates more or less hydrostatic conditions for the purpose of your analysis.

I don't think you should be concerned with 0.2m of difference in head. If you factor in the variability in the VWP (each manufacture reports a tolerance) and inaccuracy in the depth of installation, the discrepancy essentially disappears. Otherwise, you may have a very slight upward vertical albeit negligible gradient.

you have a 3.6% gradient vertically upward. That's what the data show. Is there some topograpic relief to either side of the well? Is there a nearby creek? Never rule out a flow-net-type dynamic!

f-d

ípapß gordo ainÆt no madre flaca!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back