Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcad

Automotive
Nov 7, 2006
CA
Hi all,

is there any way of grouping different bodies within a CATPart into a goup, but not assemble them using booleans? Something similar to a sub-product, but inside a single file... I know it was possible in UG...

Best regards,
Stely

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you can do it, but only if you enable the Hybrid Design mode

If they make contact to each other - no. If no contact, add a new body then assemble partbodies.
The design intent of Catia - 1 partbody = 1 part. You can run the software with many solids in 1 file, you will loose the advantages of assemblies.

Regards,
Derek

SLCAD,

I do not use Hybrid Bodies.

I understand bodies as solid.

You can combine solids with boolean operations.

But I do no know anyway to have all solids as one without bolean operation.

Can I ask you why you need this ?

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Stely, another method to group partbodies might be with layers.

Eric,

Received a tool assembly from another company, came as parasolid. Converted it to step, imported in catia and got a single file with all the bodies in the tool... We don't really need to build an assembly right now, so I was wondering if I could just somehow group toghether all the bodies from the upper side of the tool, and in another group all the bodies from the lower side... A faster method was to split the bodies in 2 files, one for the upper side, one for the lower side...

The main reason of my question was if there was any "hidden" way to do this, since in ug it was so simple... I am a catia "fan" myself, I didn't particulary like ug, but in some regards it was better...

Thanks for the suggestion, Jakk!

Best regards,
Stely

If you want a simple way to select all the "upper" bodies or "lower" bodies quickly, I would suggest creating Selection Sets. Make a Set with all the lower bodies and another with the upper bodies then use Selection Set (Ctrl+G) to choose the desired set.

Jim

Can you import parasolid back to UG, step it out of UG in an assembly? Sorry, the UG guy here is gone home. With the correct step options you can read in as an assembly.

Regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back