Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

grouping within sketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

abeschneider

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2003
US
Is it possible to group items within a sketch?

For instance, if the sketch contained:
Circle.1
Point.1
Circle.2
Point.2
Point.3
Point.4

...could I create 2 groups within a sketch such that:
Group1:
Circle.1
Point.1
Group2:
Circle.2
Point.2
Point.3
Point.4

I have a couple sketches with MANY items; this would really help me organize and track within the sketch.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

itsmyjob -

I'm on V5R15 SP5 on WinXP. In reading other posts on this forum, I was under the impression that we shouldn't be using layers in V5?

That being said, are layers the best way to accomplish what I'm trying to do here?

Layers can be used in V5. They just work so differently in V5 than they did in V4 (or at least, the filters do) that most people haven't found them to be usefull for much. But some people have.

so, I'm still in the dark as to the original question.

I've found a workable solution using Selection Sets as a means of differentiating between logical subgroups of all the entities within a sketch, but it's not exactly what I was envisioning.

Any more input?

Thanks...

what exactly do you need?

why layer does not work for you? you can select by layer, filter layers...

you can try also output profil but it might not be good for you...

why do you work in a sketch and not in 3D on support ? then you can use geometrical sets to group your geometry.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Sounds like we may have a Pro/E user on our hands...

Why are your sketches so complicated that you need to group things in them? Knowing nothing more than what I am reading, it appears that there may be a flaw in your design methodology.

I find it so much easier to have MORE sketches, but smaller, and then you can group them externally. As in, naming them, and grouping them in geometrical sets.

But I do believe that there may be more than a few curious onlookers on this topic...

---
Professional and reliable CAD design engineering services - Specializing in Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

The reason my skethes are so complex, and the reason why I'm not separating the geometry out into multiple sketches, is:

I have a series of cross-sections, whose orientations must be driven by each other. Basically, the orientation of elements further down the tree determine the final position of the elements at the top of the tree.

Because of this, using multiple sketches leads to what is perceived as an "overconstrained" situation, as the later sketch is seen as trying to drive the earlier sketch.

Putting all the geometry into a single sketch allows all the elements to properly affect each other.

Is my situation still clear as mud? I'll try to explain more if so...

I really appreciate how much effort ya'all are making to help me out with this.

I have to admit, I honestly don't get it - but I don't want to give the impression that I'd rather take issue with your design methodology than help you with the question that you've asked.

On the same note, however, I'm not sure that I have the answer that you're looking for.

---
Professional and reliable CAD design engineering services - Specializing in Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

Have you tried the fix together command that appears in the drop down toolbar under the "magical" auto constrain in sketcher? The icon looks just like the fix together command that appears in ASM. I'm not sure what version this option first appeared in but is present in r16.

This brings up an intresting topic. Why do commands that have a completely different function, Have such a similar appearence.

Abe,

I think I understand your situation, but I agree with Solid7 and suggest using many smaller sketches. Maybe a master sketch could be used to control the features in the smaller sketch?

This doesn't answer your question, but another option you might consider with your complex sketches is something called "profile definition." When you go to use your sketch (for a pad or something); instead of selecting the sketch, right-click and choose "profile definition." A little panel will pop up allowing you to choose a portion of the sketch. Something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back