Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grout Filling Abandoned 4" dia Waterline

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportsnut44

Civil/Environmental
Nov 20, 2008
US
I am abandoning about a half mile of existing 4" diameter steel waterline, and the pipe needs to be filled with some sort of non-shrink grout or similar. Since the pipe is only 4" in diameter, I have a few questions:

• What type of material should be specified for the flowable fill, i.e. cellular concrete, polymer-modified grout,...?? Or will a standard cement slurry mixture work that is typically used for larger pipe abandoning?
• How many feet of pipe can be filled at a time with a single point of entry and vent at the other end? Should it be limited to say 500 ft at a time, less, more,...?
• What is the approximately cost of this?
• Line has shallow cover with significant surface loading. Is this a concern for certain products used to fill the pipe?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back as soon as possible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

4 inch? Just fill it with water and abandon

Or bentonite

If someone really really want to spend money for no benefit then foamed concrete is pretty good.

at 4 inch you're probably pressure limited but how far? - need to ask some vendors. My guess would be 400m

If it's that shallow can't you dig it / rip it out of the ground?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I concur with LittleInch, filling a pipe with traditional grout - is a bad idea. I am guessing that the DOT is wanting it filled, as they tend to make obscure requirements such as this. Point them to a story in Atlanta a few years ago where the road buckled because they required a pipe to be filled with grout. If they do make you do this, you will need a very flowable slurry type mix though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back