Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GRP Road Tanker

Status
Not open for further replies.

corrosionman

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2003
GB
My GRP Company has been asked to repair or comment on such a tanker. 25,000 Ltr size, 7 ft dia and 30 feet long,
The Derakane GRP body is self supporting between wheels at one end and tow hitch at other. It has been used for Chemicals and the Gel coat and first layer of glass has been seriously attacked by use of unknown chemicals (but similar to attack by sulphuric acid.) It looks OK but can easily be removed by fingernail. Underneath that it seems sound.
We have our own ideas on what to do but will very much welcome any experienced suggestions. D W

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two concerns:
1. Is it just the resin that is being attacked or the glass being attacked as well. With an unknown chemical it could be NaOH which would work to dissolve the glass, or HCl which could cause stress corrosion cracking. This can not be determined without examining the glass under an SEM.
2. How much material must be removed to get a good peel test? How do you verify that all material that is removed has been replaced to a sufficient degree that structurally the vessel is fit for the intended service.

The end user should consider a accoustic emision evaluation prior to and after the repairs.

gvanbeek,
I much appreciate your interest in our problem. You have refered to two items I never heard before and please advise further.
1) What is an SEM
2)also what is an accoustic emmision evaluation.

As it happens we are now about to commence some work on the Tanker after setting up a powerful dust extraction system ready for surface preparation either by a grinder or by very careful shot blasting to remove all degraded surface material. Thanks in anticipation of soonest reply. David W

Corrosionman:

SEM - Scanning electron microscopy. It allows you to look at surface that has topography. The magnification needed to look at the glass is in the range of 600x to 1200x, which can not be done with optical microscopy without polishing the surface into a very flat plane, which destroys the fracture surfaces.

AE - If you have ever heard the cracking sound that occurs in FRP when it is overloaded (such as over torqueing a flange), then you can appreciate this method, which detects minor breaking at levels imperceptible to humans.

Take at look at ASTM E1067-01. (
Here are a couple of other resources:

gvanbeek

Thanks for input. I now realise what is meant by AE. I met it some time ago without the name. We suggested it to the Client but it is expensive and also we now find that although the gelcoat is severely degraded the glass behind it is in good condition. A couple of peel tests gave excelent bonding results so we plan to complete removal of all gel then simply recoat. The finished job will be subject to a routine pressure test before return to service,
I thing it is 60 psi or thereabouts.
The references you suggested are very usefull although
I have heard mixed reports on the value of AE tests.
Many thanks . DW

Corrosionman:

AE must be performed by an experienced, qualified, & certified inspector. I am not sure what was the cause for the mixed results, but the fact that AE is a mandatory inspection technique for ASME Section X code vessels.

I think that the fact that you presented AE as an option for proof testing, and was rejected by your client will give you some protection.

Good luck on your project.

Gerald

Gerald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back