Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GTCO-Calcomp & USB to serial adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtmaster

Civil/Environmental
Apr 23, 2004
US
I have just out pulled the last hair on my head.
Here is the problem...
I have a GTCO Rollup II digitizing tablet and am trying
use it on a laptop with no serial port. I purchased a USB to serial adapter by Aten modle number uc232a.
It will not comunicate with the computer except when I use the GTCO test program. Then it works fine. It loads the adapter to com 6. but my applications and os only use 1 thru 4.
GTCO tells me that I must purchase their adapter because their tablets must connect to a physical port and the off the shelf adapters create virtual ports. Well, if this is true, how can it work under thir own test program?
To further complicate the matter, the adapter has a red led that lights whenever the puck is within the active area of the tablet. This indicates to me that there is some communication going on.
I don't know a thing about how drivers work, but this looks like GTCO has built in a way of forcing their customers to spend their money (at twice the off the shelf price) with GTCO.
If anyone has a solution, please let me know.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dirtmaster, I have the exact same problem with a Summasketch III Pro. GTCO says I need to get their USB-Serial Adapter. I heard it may cost $100 for something similar to what I bought for $20.

Did you find a solution to your problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back