Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gtx vs quadro

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAULatREDWORKS

Industrial
Jan 26, 2017
US
So this hasn't been brought up in a while, so...

I'm looking for a new mobile workstation. I have been going back and forth with my boss on the expense of a quadro card. I've seen through across the internet that the gtx cards aren't compatible (or as compatible as the quadro). Though, I have been using gtx cards with solidworks for a long time on my personal computer and never had a problem. Is the quadro really that necessary? I do work on large assemblies, render with Keyshot and do some photoshop. Am i thinking this is a bigger problem than it is?

Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I still think that Dassault should include a brand new guaranteed compatible laptop every year as part of the license.
... or fix the damn SW so it automatically deals with any likely video card.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

MikeHalloran,

It would be nice if the VARs sold compatible computers, desktops and laptops. They are supposed to be the experts.

--
JHG

I say go for the approved cards, Quadro or others. What might work on a gaming card today may not work on them after a SP. In the grand scheme of things work-related, the cost is negligible.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

I still say go with the approved card, because if you have an unapproved card they will no longer look at any issues you have with SW, even if they are true bugs. All because you have a non supported card.

With that said, I am starting to lose faith about the SW video card approved list. I have a Dell M6800 laptop with an approved card and I spend a lot of time crashing. Moving to PDM made some of that go away, but I still crash losing hours of work each time. A recent crash last week said "unable to recover from a kernel exception..." and sent me to the Nvidia support site. Which was no help because that message did not appear. However our VAR sent this to me and I haven't crashed since last Wednesday:

1. Open your NVIDIA Control Panel and select “Manage 3D settings”
2. Then, select the “Power Management mode” and change the option from “Adaptive” to “Prefer maximum performance”

IDK if this is going to continue to help or not, but I thought I would share this.

Kind Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I had the same dilema last month. I've been able to convince my boss by explaining to him how much effort Nvidia puts in testing the drivers for SolidWorks and also the support that can come from the var when there's an issue. Of course the quadro doesn't garantee a bug free experience unfortunately, but at least it's the way to go to give you the best chances. Has Madmango said very well the cost is negligible over the life of the computer.

If I'm recommending a computer for professionnal use, I would not put my head on the chopping block saying you'll be fine with a gaming card.

Patrick.

Thanks guys!

I ended up sending my boss multiple links to posts around the internet boasting the importance of the quardo. He hasn't brought up the laptop convo since. (small win for me!)

I called LPC-digital and they're expected to have the updated line of quadro cards available within the next week or two. Which seems like my cheapest option. I called up xicomputers, they have the same story. It must be a sager/clevo thing. Anyways I'll post back in about that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back