Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Guidance for Project

PN65

Student
Oct 22, 2024
US
Project Steps:
I will be given a drawing to make a mould for producing rubber cones.
I will produce the mould and the rubber cone.
I will then be told that there is an error with the original drawing,and that the rubber cone should actually have a neck at the smaller diameter end. (attached drawings for understanding)
I will now be told to retool the mould with minimum cost implications, without any impact to functionality of the rubber cone.
My solution is to trim down the mould at the lower diameter end and attach a sleeve to the trimmed down mould to create the neck as per new dimensions. Will this be a good solution in the real world? Is it practical? If yes, why are you confident so? If not, why not?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c398c623-0e9e-40e7-b2d7-f9a167eea461&file=cones_example.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Greg, I'm not asking anyone, certainly not you in particular to do my homework! I told the solution I was planning on implementing on my project. I was asking for expert opinion before submitting. I thought that's what this forum was meant for! And what is so particularly inane about the title of this post, may I ask your learned self? I'm hoping there will be someone who is not as haughty as yourself that maybe willing to share their 2 cents!

At risk of being written off as haughty (you know what, after forty years of engineering, I've grown a thick skin so it doesn't really bother me), here's what's inane about the thread title:

It doesn't tell you anything useful (which is what "inane" means if you look it up). "Guidance for project". That probably describes 70% of the threads in the technical fora here.

What's the point of a title? It allows forum users to browse down the list - first of all to see which threads are about things where they might be able to offer helpful insight and to skip the ones that are clearly about other branches of Engineering - and then (maybe years) later, to find the places where somebody else has already discussed the problem that's bothering them today.

Using "Guidance for project" as a thread title is about as much help as turning in a report titled "Some ink marks on a scrap of paper" (which is not a stunt I recommend you should try).

No I don't think it is practical because at the thick end of the cone your OD remains the same. So your insert ( not really shown on your sketch) would be infinitely thin at the thick end. Practical thickness needs to be a certain value (1mm? or more?).

You really need to amend your sketch to show the insert so that other people can follow it better.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Back