Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

GVF vs GLR or GOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrepp

Chemical
Jul 2, 2003
US
We found the definition of GVF, but it still didn't answer this question. What is GVF in comparison to GOR?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mrepp

Solution GOR (Gas / oil ratio)is the amount of gas that will come out of solution as the pressure is reduced and is usually expressed as scf/STB. In solution the gas is refered to as dissolved gas.

Solution GLR (Gas / liquid ratio) is the same as the above except that it is expressed as a % of the total liquid volume.

GVF (I assume you refer to Formation Volume Factor FVF) is the volume occupied by one standard stocktank barrel at some elevated temperature & pressure. Basically it relates to the how the oil volume shrinks as it is brought to stock tank conditions. Units are bbl/STB.

So FVF gives you a volumetric comparison at two different conditions and GOR gives you the amount of gas that will come out of solution as you reduce the well bore pressure when producing.

GOR or GLR are handy numbers to understand when using an artificial lift method in an oil well.

cheers

DADFAP

Mrepp

Let me take another stab at this. I had to talk to some others to get my mind around this.

Let's make sure that I am on the same page as you with the definition of GVF.

GVF is simply the amount of gas taking up space in any given volume at a given set of conditions.

There is no direct correlation between GVF & GOR.

What is your interest in GOR / GLR?

Cheers

dadfap

The term GVF (Gas Void Fraction) is used to express the fraction of the volume occupied by gas in a gas liquid mixture at any given pressure and temperature condition.

I otherwise agree with the definitions of GLR and GOR presented before

GVF (Gas Volume Fraction or Gas Void Fraction) is given at the pressure and temperature of interest (for example at suction conditions in a multi phase pump application) whereas GOR is always referred to normal pressure and temperature conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back