Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gymnasium Spinklers From 1st floor or 2nd Floor Zone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah187

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2008
CA
Hey Dudes,

A gym in a school should be piped from the first floor zone and not the 2nd floor sprinkler zone.

I know this is how it's done, i've looked through 13 but can't find it, i know it's there... i've read the line before. I'm about to throw 13 out the window.

This clause says something about the sprinklers should be piped off of the floor it serves and the ceiling height shouldn't be considered.

Is it building code or NFPA... can someone help me out before i do something irrational and get put on santas naughty list so close to x-mas.

Merry Christmas.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

do not hink it says where to pipe from

only thing I see is 8.2 nfpa 13 2002 and also kind of reference 8.2.2

sounds like it depends on the layout of the building, if there is a second floor, may be easier to pipe the cieling from the second floor.

I seem to remember something peculiar about zoning sprinkler systems in assembly buidlings and the old BOCA code. It was back in the early 1980's and had to do with a gymnasium at a college.

I have also been thru this, both with gymnasiums and hi vestibules in apartment buildings. The zoning remains the same as the floor it serves. Makes for a bugger of an install sometimes. But I've been all thru 13 in regards to zoning lately for other reasons and I'd be darned if I could point out where it would reference this situation. Seems odd now that you bring it up.

Regards
Dave

Yeah.. that's the exact wording i remember too.... "The zoning remains the same as the floor it serves"... I've gone through NFPA 13 2007... In the past i was familiar with 2002, and 1999 (i think}.. so maybe that clause was in one of them!

I wish NFPA would create some new clauses for zoning, seems like it's unclear to everyone, However i believe there would be conflict between NFPA and the Fire Code.

so if you have a two story school building, but the gym has no common opening to the second floor you would still run the pipe through the wall just to sprinkle the gym ceiling, instead of maybe piping from the gym piping covering the offices or bathroooms or what ever???

Found my answer for those of you in Canada... The sentence I was looking for is NBC 2005 Appendix-A 3.2.4.8.(2)

"Alarm initiating devices referred to in this sentence include fire detectors, water flow switches and manual stations. If room or space in a building extends through more than one storey of the building, as in the case of multi-level dwelling units and machinery rooms, judgement must be exercised in the zoning and annunciation of the fire detectors in that room or space. In general, the lowest storey on which access is provided into the room or space should be indicated on the annunciator to avoid unnecessary delays for the responding firefighters. Consideration should also be given to the use of numbers or letters on the annunciator that correspond to those used in the builing elevator."

I'm sure those of you in the US have a similar clause in your local building code etc.

Cheers... my NFPA 13 lives to see another day.

A water flow switch is on each floor zone control assembly. Where sprinklers are provided they are the fire alarm.

Sprinklers are the fire detectors in that space or room. I thought it was clear, i must be really missing something.

I have always gone by the fire marshals advice that if the higher area is enclosed by full height walls, sprinkle it from the floor zone below. If there are balconies with railings and is open the floor below, it can be sprinkled from the upper system. It would be obvious to first responders where the fire is when there is one open area.

Sprinklers are installed per nfpa 13

fire alarm systems are installed per nfpa 72

yes there is sprinkler language in 72 and fire alarm language in 13

but I think you are talking chicken and dumplings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back