Gypboard equivalent Plywood in wood shear walls. and strap bracing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBMRAO

Structural
Sep 4, 2018
US
Friends.
Structurally I have called for two-sided gyp board on a wood shear wall. Apparently, architects showed the same but on one side they had a resilient channel on the face of the wall stud and then gyp board. This side of sheathing will not help me for the shear values.
Now i have to come up with one side of gyp board only and adding a plywood sheathing is not an option at this point. Do anyone of you know any gyp board material as strong as plywood but still looks like gypboard.

I heard X strap bracing cannot be applied for wood shear walls like how we do for cold formed metal framing.

Any suggestions would help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They want a gypboard look like how we see in the buildings. I was wondering if there is any gyp board that has better structural properties like 1/2" gyp board and 1/4" plywood composite panel and has any structural tables? This sounds silly but still searching.

options:

1. use plywood, and gypsum board over plywood. I've seen this used a lot.
2. why not use a steel strap? who says it cannot be done
3. a proprietary steel backed gyp as moments suggested - sounds expensive
4. you could look into GIB board. In new zealand, plywood is very expensive, so they acheive bracing on wood frame buildings entirely with gypsum board. GIB has lots of engineering data to back its use - search the web, there is hysteresis diagrams, load charts, etc. Though i would hesitate to use this data and allow generic boards be used - the composition of that board might have a lot of effect

Thanks MOmenta nd North Civil. Sureboard meets my requiremens but waiting from contractor to give pricing.
The gib board is also a good option trying to find an equivalent in USA. So that Architects can use these with out having to have a resilient channel and i will still get my two layers of gyp as sheathing for my shear walls.
THanks JAE i will also look into a thin plywood that can get an equivalent shear but its also addtional cost and labor.

Great to be a member of this community to get quick help.

Thanks

Steel strap bracing of a wood wall isn't an accepted system under ASCE 7-10 (at least for seismic). Not sure if that's applicable in your locale, but if so, you'd need to justify whatever R, Cd, Ω, etc values you used if you went with something other than a recognized system.

I thought SureBoard was only approved for light-gauge steel framed walls? That's not to say it wouldn't *work*, just that you might need to get an AMC approved to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back