Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gypboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPPE

Structural
May 16, 2001
US
Anyone know where to find design values for gypboard? Not that I want to design with it...
Simply, I've been asked to determine if a mobile machine crashes into a fire rated gypboard wall, will the gypboard be compromised.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally gypboard (I assume you mean gypsum based plaster sheeting) is supported by a timber frame.

Ignore any strength that the board has as it will be negligible compared to the timber frame and design for the timber frame.

The board is fairly brittle and will not contribute much in strength to the frame.

regards
sc

sc - Yes, gypsum based plaster sheathing. Sheetrock, even. It could be supported by timber frame or metal stud or other. The particular case I was asked about was metal studs at 16" o.c. I've never considered gypsum board as having any real structural value. Go take a hammer and see how easy it is to knock a hole in your wall. Thats why it took every bit of self control to prevent me from bursting out in laughter when I was asked what force from a mobile machine (forklift, scissorlift, etc.) would compromise the wall. Hell, my foot would compromise the wall.

U.S. Gypsum Co. use to publish the a booklet called (I think) "The Gypsum Handbook" in which had EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about sheetrock walls and ceilings. If you can't get one at your local drywall supplier try the USG website.

There are ASTM test methods that determine puncture resistance, shear and compressive strength of gyp products.

Just a thought... A stick framed wall is made (more) rigid when sheathing is applied; even sheetrock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back