Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gypsum for Shear Wall in SDC D 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjb2

Structural
Oct 17, 2005
US
In the 2003 IBC Table 2306.4.5 gives allowable shear for Gypsum Board on framed walls. Footnote a. states that the values are for SDC A,B, and C. I don't see anywhere in the code that specifically prohibits use of gyp board for shear resistance in SDC D. Is it permitted in SDC D? And where is it in the code? If it is permitted what are the allowable values?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

gjb- We use a modified version of IBC 2000 hereabouts (NJ) and it allows gyp sheathing on wood-framed shear walls in SDC D if allowable shear values shown on Table 2306.4.5 are cut in half. Gyp-on-wood not allowed in SDC E and F. Not sure if these differences are anomaly in the NJ version of the code or if IBC was changed in your later 2003 version. Is 2003 in force in your area yet?

Note if you switch to light gauge framing (See IBC secton 2211) there are allowable shear values that can be used for gyp sheathing but they are only applicable for wind loads, not seismic, however one can use light gauge framing in SDC D, E, F if using osb or plywood sheathing (See table 2211.1.(3))

whyun,
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. It's also covered in the 2001 NDS Wind/Seismic Supplement which I overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back