Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gypsum Roof Deck Diaphragm Shear

Status
Not open for further replies.

w16x26

Structural
Sep 10, 2008
US
Does anyone have any resources or experience using a bulb T and gypsum roof deck as a roof diaphragm. This is an existing building with bar joists and steel roof girders. However there is no horizontal "x" bracing at the roof level. I need to do a lateral analysis of the building due to increases in parapet height. Any comments would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Mike. I have seen that section, however I have reservations to use that value since this Gypsum deck sits on bulb tees and I would have a difficult time comparing the typical 12" o.c. fastening of gypsum walls to studs with the bulb tees every 3'-0" o.c. or so. I do appreciate your input. Thanks.

Ever since I can remember, it has been a BIG NO NO to use GSB at the roof or floor to resist any lateral loading as a structural diaphragm. I was trained that way. I have always used plywood, metal decking, X bracing, or concrete to do this.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Poured, lightly reinforced, gypsum concrete decks on bulb tees were popular in the 60's and 70's. In those days, we didn't bother much with diaphragm calculations, and I don't remember ever seeing any information on diaphragm capacity of gypsum decks. Intuitively, it is a lot stiffer than a metal deck, provided the roof hasn't leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back