Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gyrocompass Settling

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhone

Electrical
Oct 7, 2010
Hi,
If power is lost to an Anschutz Standard 22 Gyrocompass at sea(for 1 hour approx)what needs to be done to get it back into full reliable operation?

As far as I am aware it takes 4 hours for the gyro to settle once powered back up.I know there is a quick settling option also.

Once the gyro settles will there be a difference between the settling point and the true heading? If so can the gyro be adjusted with the true heading while at sea? How is this done or is it best done while alongside.

Any info would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The quick settling function works faster if the ship was berthed when the power loss occurred (because it uses the last known heading).

I've had the same problem while at sea and it took about 1 hour before the heading was restored up to an accuracy of maybe +/- 5 degrees and I think after 2 hours the accuracy was back to normal (compared with gps coarse while sailing)

On the gyro (7-segments) display there is a LED flashing, this is an indication if the gyro has been settled/quick settled already or not but this is described in the manual.

Thanks you for your reply.

Will the gyro find the correct heading on its own once it has settled while at sea or does the correct heading need to be manually entered?

Yes, in my case the gyro found it's original heading without adjustment. I believe it was also a standard 22 type.

I've read in the manual that the time to resettle is depending on the sea state (movement of the ship).

When I was in this situation, I was asked by an Anschutz engineer to cut the power a few mins because it "needed a reset". He didn't expect that it would take so long to resettle (+/- 2hrs in calm weather)

Kind regards,
WV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back