Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H-20 loading for PVC pipe 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwattedWabbit

Civil/Environmental
May 13, 2004
US
We are designing a driveway under which we need to put a 12" dia. PVC culvert. Can anyone suggest a website where we can find a table that shows minimum cover for H-10 or H-20 loading, for Sch. 40 PVC or Sch. 80 PVC, etc.?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to let you know, many municipalities require 15" or 18" culverts, since they are less likely to get plugged up.

------------------------------------------
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys typing on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare.

Blair Houghton

Thanks for the pointers. We've ended up changing to ductile iron, but we will still need to find a table with such specs for future jobs.

I have not seen a table that will give you the "out right" cover that is required. I have seen design aids that give the design pressure as a function of cover depth for vehicles through pavement.

What I have done in the past is use a pyramid or cone pressure distribution for the wheel load.

Marston and Spangler are the pioneers of the field. You could probably find what you need on the internet.

The project manager went with ductile iron, which is available enough (we use it for water mains). CMP probably would be cheaper. Not my call, however.

The website referenced by "canman" is appreciated. I've checked it out, and printed out the technical report for future use.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back