Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H.B.C. ring media for sewage treatment plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

malagigi

Chemical
Aug 11, 2004
IT
Hallo to everybody, I'm a chemical engineer and I'm involved in a sewage water plant design.
Have You ever listened to H.B.C. ring to be installed inside an aeration tank??
Can You tell me which kind of media I'm talking about??
The only information I've got it's relevant to a diameter of 30 mm.

Thank You...
Daniele

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not familiar with "H.B.C. Ring" media, but at 30 mm diameter in an aeration basin, it sounds like a moving bed bioreactor, similar to a Kaldnes ( media reactor I worked on. I think the Kaldnes media we used were closer to 15mm, but same principle.

If so, then the principle is that the bugs grow on the media, rather than free in the water. This keeps the bugs from getting wasted at as high a rate, and allows for a greater F/M ratio. The aeration provides the required oxygen to the bugs, and also keeps the media mixed.

Hope this is helpful.

The media referred to sounds like "pall" rings used in some bio-reactors. I am using a combined activated sludge/attached media reactor for destruction of an inorganic pollutant in mine slimes dam discharge streams.

The pall rings or media are 15 - 25 mm diameter plastic rings that the bugs attach to, giving you a more stable bug population and thus a more stable degradation profile. In our case the activated sludge component also helps in terms of ensuring that the DO stays as high as possible, and in providing a purge medium to get rid of heavy metals. Choice of the correct pall rings is important - you will need to get your specific surface area as high as possible, and also allow for sparging into the reactor to get your DO's up.

There is a lot of literature on the web about sewage systems, I found it really helpful when I started this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back