Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

h/tw value in AISC Shapes Properties 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harriss1972

Structural
Dec 4, 2007
US
I am trying to determine what the "h" value is in the beam properties tables (Compact Section Criteria column) in "Part 1 Dimensions and Properties" of the AISC Steel Construction Manual, 13th Edition. Its value, taken by multiplying the listed "h/tf" by "tf", doesn't seem to correspond with the "Symbols" definition on page 16.1-xxxviii, "clear distance between flanges less the fillet or corner radius for rolled shapes". I've tried various combinations of subtracting the flange thickness from the beam depths less radii computed with the T, d, and tf distances, but to no avail. "h" is not labeled in the beam picture at the top of the tables where the d, tf, tw, bf, k, k1 and T distances are shown. Does anyone know what the "h" distance physically represents for rolled sections?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

h is defined in the Spec. Section B4.2(a), Page 16.1-15.

Consider a W16x100: d=17.0", tw=.585", and kdes=1.39"

h=17.0-2(1.39)=14.2"

h/tw = 14.2/0.585 = 24.3 which matches the table.

I did this for three others and they all matched.

One key is to realize that kdes is much different from kdet and you have to use kdes for this calc and other similar calcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back