Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H13 steel Heat treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

vahidp60

Mechanical
Jul 21, 2009
IR
Hi friends,
I have a cylinder and a piston made of H13 tool steel.
The working temperature for these parts is above 600C. The piston has to slide in the cylinder on those elevated temperatures.
I would like to know whether it is possible to achieve a microstructure in H13 steel that the parts do not loos their hardness in operating conditions? Or should I change the material?
Since the inner dia of cylinder is 40mm and its lenght is 500mm, it is not possible to coat the inner surface of the part to maintain the hardness and the only solution that remains is heat treatment. Or you have any other suggestion?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What hardness are you starting with? You will lose some hardness just due to the elevated temperatures, that is, the hardness at 600C will be less than the hardness at 20C for nearly any material, but to know if the hardness after extended exposure to 600C will be below your requirements will require knowing what your requirements are.

rp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back