Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

H2-ECOM from Automation Direct 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macbeth

Electrical
Oct 1, 2002
US
I Have 3 250's and 18 06's. I need them to talk to each other. I selected the H2-ECOM for it states "High-speed peer-to-peer networking of PLCs" after having conversations with Tec Support I have been informed that I must configure my communication in a master slave configuration I must have one PLC pull data from my other PLCs and them transmit it to my other PLCs. This does not sound Like Peer to Peer Communication. It seems to be more Master-Slave. I have also been informed that I should limit my Network Traffic to about 5 to 8 RX/WXs. Even cutting down to 8 RXs seems to take approximately 10 Sec, This does not seem to be "High Speed" as referenced to other "High Speed" PLC Networks even back from the 90's.

I am not sure what to believe. My catalog states one thing and a Tec Support tells me another. Perhaps I should know that the whopper I see on the sign is not the same whopper I get on my plate. But at this point the Facility is at the end of start-up week and I am incapable to complete my portion of the project due to these new “Limitations”. I have no idea what to do is there any different hardware to use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might look at the SDN module that AD has, but it may be just as slow. I am not very impressed with AD networking, I tried to use it for robot zone interlocking, and even though the robots were looking for change of state they still played rock 'em sock 'em robots. We have since migrated to Rockwell.

Macbeth, I had the same problem about three years ago and I see they haven't resolved those issues. I use a HMI as a gateway the speed was alot faster than ten sec using this method I had 17 250's connected.

ernie
518 747 8020 ext205

Ernie

Your experience is a lot different from mine. My company makes motion controllers that communicate with AD PLCs with H2 or H4 ECOMs. My test system is a DL250 with a H2 ECOM. This most basic function is to read the status of the motion controller as fast as possible. I found this to be scan time dependent but it can be as fast as every 8 millisecond. My complaint is that a H2-ECOM can either read or write, it can't do both during the same scan and there is no provision for queueing like AB MSG blocks.

I don't see why you can't have multiple RX blocks with different node address to read different PLCs. The only problem I see is that the PLC can't read two nodes at the same time.

A handful of ECOM modules can not drag down the Ethernet. However, the number that have been mentioned certainly can. Are you using switches or hubs? Another problem with the H2-ECOM is that it is half duplex therefore the net work must be partitioned.

Oh dear!!! There go any thoughts I had about using AD. I quite often have 8-10 PLCs networked and lots of data flying around. Easier to work without having to use RX and TX quite frankly. Let the network look after itself.

Well I finaly did get it to work.
OK after working on this all day Friday and Saturday here are my results. We are moving two words from each 06 (18 of them) to one 250, Then the 250 writes back two different words back two each 06 a total of 36 RX/WX. We also are using DSData server for the SCADA side, pulling data about every 20sec… Originally every 06 did both RX/WX that it needed with the 250. At this time I believe they were triggered every scan; the original logic has been altered so much can’t say for sure, this seems to have been my original problem. This is what “marksji” is referring to. As we brought more 06 on line communication quickly degraded to the point of total failure.
Calls were place to AD tec support. System setting were reviewed with tec support and found to need changes. Now this is where the train jumps the track. Our personal were instructed it would be best to remove our Managed Cisco Switches and replace then with Hubs and not Managed Switches. Unable to locate Hubs the Managed Cisco Switches were replaced with Unmanaged D-Link Switches.

Also our personal were instructed to not use TCP/IP but to set all communication to IPX and remove the IP table to Module Number information for that was only for the HCOM100. Once this happened the Broadcast Storm was incredible. Every thing in the facility stopped Warehousing, Manufacturing, Shipping, Receiving, ERP, SAP and every other system in the facility. That went on for about 4 to 5 hours until it was traced to our system and our network connection was taken away from us. We convinced facility personal to allow us to reconnect to their network by adding additional NIC card in our racks.

All RX/WX were relocated to the Main 250 as soon as we established about 10 RXs comms started to Fault. We got the first 18 to work although it took about 15sec to happen. This did get the process to run.

After placing additional calls to AD tec Support we were informed that we were just pushing the Comms to the Limit with the 18 RX and we should be thankful for that. I found this a bit weird so I posted here.

I posted on the Ad Tec Board Fourm with replies from “marksji” and “bcarlton” who posted pretty quickly and started getting the train back on track. While reverting my ECOMs tables back to the original setting as recommended by bcarlton; Bruce from AD tech called me and said he noticed my post and if he could be of any service. Bruce seemed very help full. Bruce agreed our original IP setup would be more useful that IPX. And that the HCOM did support Network Mapping.

After converting all comms to IP including my DSData my 18 RX had 0% coll. I then added my WX in the 250, No colls but also no data. We figured we must not be using the WX incorrectly so we placed RX inside of each 06 and timed it with the 1sec bit. We now had about a 5% coll. We then modified the 250 RX to work on the Odd bits of the index SR and now 0% coll and Data is transferred in about 1.5sec. Ya we can now go back to the Hotel.

ewbdale,
I seen your Logo on your site and it looked like one on a system I removed about 14 years ago. And as I remember they came from yor side of the state. I had to ask to see if it was yours. I suspect thier not aroud any more. I wish I could remember thier name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back