Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H20 Wheel load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yihan

Structural
Oct 13, 2011
CA
I am doing a culvert span 3.5 meters, I have to limit the top slab thickness to 280mm ( no haunch possible ), it is 600 mm bury depth, H20 traffic load.
the wheel transvers spacing is 1800mm per ASShto,
since the span is 3.5m, that means I have to put 32Kipsx1.3(dynamic factor)x1.5(live load factor)=62.4 kips load on to the roof slab. this will creat fairly large moment and shear onto the slab, is this over designed?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 32 kips is an axle load, not a wheel load. The two wheels are spaced a little over 1800mm transverse. I believe there is also a "design tandem" that you should analyze too. This is four smaller wheel loads instead of two larger ones.

The load factors are acceptable. I am a Canadian engineer but I imagine ASSHTO code would be similar and has provisions for proper load distribution.

Try to get a copy of the Concrete Pipe Design Manual. It has load tables #49 thru 55 set up for pipe which would be similar to your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back