H2S and Bioscrubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koolaid11

Bioengineer
Sep 17, 2010
US
Hi,

I need help converting airflow and H2S ppm to lbs of H2S per hour or day (ex: 3,000cfm with 10ppm).

More tricky: If the same parameters above(excluding other variables) were applied to a bioscrubber removing >99% H2S; how much water would need to be applied to the system per hour or day to remove the sulfuric acid and keep pH at 2?

P.S. I am new to the site. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Koolaid11:

To answer your first question about "... converting airflow and H2S ppm to lbs of H2S per hour or day (ex: 3,000cfm with 10ppm). ", we would need to know whether the ppm is by volume or by weight and we would also need to know the temperature and pressure at which the cfm were measured.

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Youthful Engineer,
Our bioscrubbers are used for Hyfrogen Sulfide and other VOCs. Typically they are used to treat odors and H2S for public or industrial wastewater treatment facilities. Do you have a link or some good info on coke gas ovens? My company website is ecoverdetechnologies.com

Thanks,
John

Koolaid:

In all of my experience with bioscrubbers, one very important operating parameter was humidity. If the air stream humidity drops, the "bugs" go dormant or at least their metabolism drops way off. So, to keep the bugs alive and happy, it is often/usually necessary to add moisture to the air stream supply to the bioscrubber. This may well be more than the water added to moderate pH, or the water from the recirc sump has to have a blow-down to purge excessive S (whether it is elemental, sulfide, or acid), along with some caustic add for pH control of the sump. Makeup water might have to be added to the sump, as well as to the inlet air stream for optimal performance. The issue of humidity and moisture control is the number one issue with successful operation of bioscrubbers and similar "bug farms". The problem is much more significant in winter, when the ambient absolute humidity is necessarily lower. Also at lower temperatures (winter time), the pH issues can solubility of S compounds are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back