Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H2SO4 respect 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky970

Electrical
Jan 28, 2006
US
I work at a Chlor-Alkali facility where we have both 98% and 76% sulfuric acid. Seems too many people at the plant do not show enough respect for this very dangerous chemical. Looking for ideas to convey that would give or scare people into using the proper PPE when working aroung these areas and realize the consequences.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I worked in sulfuric acid regen units for 4 years. This is a common problem. One thing I found most effective at conveying the power of H2SO4 is put a raw chicken breast in a glass or plastic bowl then dump a few ounces of acid on it. Do this outside and with all proper ppe. The burned up chicken could be someone's skin.

I would do the demo for contractors coming in and would never have issues afterwards.

perhaps a visit to your local burn and trauma hospital/trauma unit would give them an idea. an experience you will not forget . . .

good luck!
-pmover

Part of our plant is also a C/A facility. We developed a guideline for handling sulfuric acid in our plant and also barricade all sulfuric acid areas with red chain and signs to increase daily awareness. Proactive measures we use are flange covers that are inspected monthly, shields on pump bowls. We also developed a PPE vs Task Table that addresses the most common tasks that are performed within a sulfuric acid barricaded area. To give you an example the minimum PPE for entry into a sulfuric acid area in our plant is a face shield, goggles, hard hat, saranex suit, nitrile gloves and chemical resistant boots. Everybody is also trained annually on the guideline. Hope this helps.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back