Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Halcrow Buckets

Status
Not open for further replies.

mraye77

Geotechnical
Dec 16, 2002
CA
I am looking for some information on Halcrow Buckets. I monitoring groundwater levels in an unstable slope (slope is undergoing slow downslope creep). I would like to get maximum water level readings but the standpipes are currently read manually once a month in the summer/fall and once a week in the winter/spring. The risk of failure and subsequent damage at the site is so low that continuous monitoring with an electronic logger is not warranted. In my search for alternatives, I came across some references to Halcrow buckets - small, plastic tubes tied together at a constant interval (e.g., 500 mm) and suspended in a standpipe. Can anyone comment on the performance of Halcrow buckets and/or provide the name of a manufacturer or distributor of the product?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Roctest ( makes all sorts of water level measurement devices for slope projects. If they aren't familiar with it, I'd be surprised. I used vibrating wire piezometers at a landfill site once (worked like a charm). Halcrow buckets sounds like a bubbler-type depth gage (I've never used one), I think they work by pressurizing the tube to see how much pressure you need to overcome the water head in the piezometer. Vaguely, I seem to recall U.S. EPA discussing them in one of their field manuals.

If you find out what a Halcrow bucket is, please let us know.

Thanks

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back