Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Half sine acceleration pulse simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanicalFEA

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2011
GB
Hello fellow engineers,

I am doing some work for an automotive company and need to simulate one of their tests before i send the part of for pv testing, here is the test spec.

Test Spec

Half sin acceleration pulse.
Duration = 6ms (0.006s)
peak acceleration = 500ms^2
part to be orientated during the test in the position of installation.

Description of testing procedure and part.

The part is fixed to a rig and subjected to 10 separate half sin acceleration shock pulses (only need to test for one as fatigue will be neglected). From rest the part is accelerated vertically upwards to a maximum acceleration of 500ms^2 (0.003s) and then back to rest (0.006s). The part is essentially a flat disc (5mm thick and 300mm diameter) with a mass of 200g with an electronic module in the middle (100x100x30mm) with a mass of 150g assumed to be fixed to the disc. The part is fixed to the rig (horizontally with the elecetronic module facing upwards) by three tabs evenly spaced a 0,120,240 degrees. It can be assumed that at each of the tabs have no relative displacement/rotation occur (rigidly fixed to the rig)

I need to work out what the maximum deflection of the part and the stress around the tabs to determine if it will go beyond the yield point of the material

Material

pc+abs

Young's modulus = 2.3 Gpa
Yield stress = 54 Mpa
poisons ratio = 0.38

The question

Which is the best (simple) way to go about simulating this, i currently have access to catia v5 with all the fea modules and also have access to ansys mechanical 12.1. I have integrated the sine pulse to get the displacement and velocities at each point in time, but im pretty sure i could solve this problem using a frequency analysis for which i am not familiar with using.

A push in the right direction with this problem is all i'm really after, i have tried many different types of analysis such as global acceleration, applying the static displacement and a transient analaysis where i input a displacement with time load case however i think they are all over stressing the part as the resultant displacment is often larger then the displacment of the rig!. (rather like standing on a piece of wood in water and slowly sinking or running over the wood and not sinking)

Thanks in advance

J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back