Can any body explain me waht the following load cases stands for

1) 30 mph Chuckhole Vertical(Aft/Right)
2) Curb Island LF Vertical
3)Forward Wide Open Throttle
4)Forward Panic Bracking and
5) 73 degree SEPH LF Impact

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They are all standard durability or special surfaces events. You will need to get your customer to define the actual geometry as they vary from company to company. here's my guess:

A chuckhole is a horrible pothole with a steel surround, in our case about 6 inches deep.

Curb Island is probably hitting and driving over a traffic island

Forward WOT - obvious

Panic brake - obvious

SEPH - don't know, PH probably stands for pot hole.

They'd be some of the loads used for a suspension design.

Like I say, contact your customer to get actual loads and descriptions of the events.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Sasank,

I recall the 73 degree SEPH impact as a Ford test. SEPH stands for Square Edge Pot Hole. 73 degrees is obviously not square so it might signify the angle of the edge to the direction of travel.

A Google search did not turn up anything useful. Perhaps someone at Ford can see if there is anything internally available without disclosing any secrets.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Ha, well I should have thought a bit harder about that one. The potholes are deeper than the chuckholes, usually you have to do 3 passes through a pothole without wrecking the car, whereas you get get chuckholes in every cycle of rough road durability.

I repeat, you need to get your customer to define the tests, different markets use different specs. I hadn't heard of a 73 degree SEPH requirement for instance - that sounds far too easy, but it may be supposed to replicate a curb-strike event.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back