Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Halogen-free FR4 and RoHS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

e2zn

Electrical
Aug 20, 2003
US
Hi Eng-Tipsors,

This is my first question. I did a few searches that came up empty, so please forgive me if this is redundant.

I need to get RoHS compliant PCBs. My supplier has a "halogen-free" option that costs a little more, and is not available for all my boards.

RoHS bans Polybrominated biphenyls – PBB and Polybrominated diphenyl ethers - PBDE. And bromine is in the halogens.

So the question is: does anybody know what the halogen in FR4 is?

Thanks.

e2zn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have found you have to be careful in this area. RoHS has a list of prohibited chemicals - even if the chemical is used in the process but does not appear in the final product. Just because a board manufacturer says "lead-free" it does not necessarily mean it will meet RoHS and I'm sure this goes for Bromine and other chemicals. There are PCB laminate suppliers out there that seem to be sketchy on detail info and long on statements that dodge the full issues. I even know of one prototype board house that states a certain laminate vendor material for your RoHS prototypes, but search for and check out the actual data sheet on the material you will find it is not RoHS (just lead free). Do you think your certificate letter from the board house will protect you then?

I have chosen to specify material from outfits that appear more professional and will re-address the issue later after the confusion has settled down. This means for the short term I will pay higher prices and suffer longer leadtimes.

Also, for a long time, FR4 has been a commodity product with the business going to the lowest cost source. Now that RoHS is coming, laminate vendors are charging higher prices and longer lead times - if desired laminate is even available at all!

The following is a list of some of the major laminate vendors. Check through these to see which meets your needs.

Isola Polyclad Park/Nelco ITEQ Nanya

You don't need halogen free materials at present, as you stated the flame retardants PPB's and PPBE's cannot be present - Most laminate manufacturers now use TBBA (which is not banned at present as a flame retardant.

Your PCB manufacturer should be able to get quite detailed reports using ICP testing (often through SGS Labs).

Do you know the laminate manufacturer? I may have details on their laminates.

Hi Dancey, Comcokid, and IRstuff,

Thanks to you all for the input.

IRstuff, you prompted me to begin a number of translation-challenging communications with our offshore supplier that solved the immediate problem.

In addition to that, Comcokid and Dancey, your insight also proved valuable in getting me more experience with specifying these materials.

Since we are always re-quoting jobs to reduce cost (comsumer equipment) I now feel that I can take care of our future needs.

So at the end of this process I seem to have discovered this:

Although you would think that specifying "RoHS compliant" should be enough to get same, you really need to double check!

DIY wins again!

Thanks to you all for taking the time to help.

e2zn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back