Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hand drawing to 3D model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasinka

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2013
US
Hello,

I have drawing that was done by hand, and I scanned it into a pdf. there is no electronic version of the drawing, only a hard copy sheet.
I need to make a model from the drawing. drawing only has basic dimensions, no radius's on curved lines. Its a hand drawn image

Is there a way to import pdf into the drawing or model, and use these lines to build my model.
There is curvature and I need to have it in my model to copy from when I am building my model, other ways there is no other possible way for me to get the shape correct.

Path 1: import pdf into dwg (somehow), then use power drafting to create model.
path 2: import image in drafting or modeling background, use it to build my curves/lines and than remove the image and then use curves to build the model. With this method I will be approximating and trying to manually best fit a line to the image on background. A little time consuming and low tolerance results, but acceptable.

please share your ideas.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Search on Google for online pdf to dxf convertor

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX8.5.3 / TC9.1.2
HPZ420 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz, 32 Gb Win7 64B
Nvidea Quadro4000 2048MB DDR5

HP Zbook15
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ
CPU @ 2.70 GHz Win7 64b
Nvidia K1100M 2048 MB DDR5

If a raster image was imported into a pdf file, don't expect great results from a pdf to dxf translator. Tools do exist to help convert raster images to dxf, but the results usually require a fair amount of hand clean-up.

If you are running NX 9 or newer, I'd suggest scanning your drawing to a raster image (jpeg, png, or tiff) and importing it into the modeling application (menu -> insert -> datum/point -> raster image...). Then you can sketch or create curves on top of the image, using it as a guide. You can do the same in NX 8.5 and below, but you will need a special license (studio visualize?) to import the image into modeling and I think the image must be in .tiff format.

www.nxjournaling.com

If the part is simple enough to be imported and understood by the software, save yourself the time and build a fully parametric model from scratch.
If the part is a 3D complex shape, there is no software that will build a 3D model from a 2D hand drawing.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back