Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hand Pump - odd question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr8gonzo0

Civil/Environmental
Apr 30, 2007
US
I know this may be an odd question and unrelated to engineering, but I am looking for a hand pump (similar to a bicycle pump) that has both intake and outake ports. I want to hook up some hoses and pressurize a small vessel with something besides air (any type of gas). I have seen a pump like this before in a college lab but have had no luck locating one. Any suggestions? Perhaps someone knows where I could get a coupls small air valves and construct one myself? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can make one from an air cylinder and a couple of soft-seated check valves, a tee and a couple of hose adapters. I am particularly fond of some small swing check valves that I think Parker made for fuel use; they have a very low cracking pressure. Most any hydraulic supply house will have all of the fluid components you need. Find a nice eight-ball gearshift knob to put on the rod to use as a handle.

This of course assumes that you are not dealing with a poisonous or otherwise nasty gas...

Oh. Finding a way to make one of something without a budget is very much an engineering problem.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I have correct Mike on his post...

Parker don't make things, they buy the companies that make things and they screw them up.

Apart from that...good post, well done Mike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back