Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hand scraped bearings and ways 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermeer

Mechanical
Jun 27, 2001
US
Is anyone aware of a book describing the methods of hand scraping bearings and surface plates? There isn't much published on it, and my search on amozon.com bore no results. I would be real interested to find a good text on mechanical maintainence too. I work for an on site machining company where we build many of the tools we use in the field including spindles and precision dovetail slides etc. These resources would be endlessly useful to me. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Powells Books list "Machine Tool Reconditioning" by Edward Connelly. Said to be "...an excellent source of information on the art of hand scraping in particular and machine reconditioning in general."
You can find Powells at

" Machine Tool Reconditioning" By Edward Connelly is the best book on how to. I used it when I started rebuilding machine tools and scraping ways. An other good book is "Precision Machine Design" from and "Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy" by Wayne R. Moore – 1970 and "Holes, Contours and Surfaces" by Richard F. Moore & Frederick C. Victory - 1955 from These books will give you a very good background on the machine tool building and rebuilding and scraping. Have fun and good luck

An article written in the January 1971 issue of Modern Machine Shop was titled "Why are they hand scraped?". It's old but still valid today. If you cannot locate it, I can fax it to you, but I would need your number.

There is a very good book on hand scraping. It is entitled: Machine Tool Reconditioning and Applications of Hand Scraping. It was published by the Machine Tool Press of St. Paul, MN, USA, and the author is listed as Edward F.Connelly. I have read it and would love to find a copy.
Leon W.
Bloomfield, Iowa.

Guy Lautard (sp??) has a video. I believe he advertises in "The Home Shop Machinist".

I have the Lindsay book and "Machinetool Reconditioning" and they helped a little as I learned. I never really "got it" until I found a 2nd generation master scraper to teach me. It is cool to be able to make something real accuarate by hand, but life is too short to do much of it. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back