Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

handling of PA mesh cut forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujeff

Automotive
Jul 4, 2006
IT
Hi I posted this on the injection molding section but had no replies, maybe will be lukier in this section:

we were investigating new processes to handle automatically cut forms of Nylon (PA66) mesh (60micron open area)and place them in a 2-4 cavity injectiong molding tool for overmolding. The form is not so complex and almost flat. we need an accuracy of max 0,5mm. the mesh form is about 80mmx35mm. High volumes.

vacuum is a standard but reliability as the mesh is permeant to air is not so good; in my research I came across handling devices from the textile industry:
1. needels, can be a problem for damaging the mesh, plus they could be used on the handling device, but I see little if no possibility to use them on the plastic injection mold itself.
2.an interesting device is using spraying water on the fabric to be handled and then by sudden freezing this can stuck to the handling device. the advantage is no damage at all of the mesh form. Problem aigain is how to keep the cut forms of mesh on the mold if we do not want to use vacuum again.

My idea was to have a surface treatment or an other medium on the mold where the nylon mesh could stuck (something like a velcro closure)and then be unstuck in the extraction phase. Cleanliness is an issue.

do you have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back