Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hangers for systems in a concrete parking structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkampana

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2011
US
I'm doing a dry system in a concrete parking structure. It is a two level structure and it is post tension slab on top of pillars. I'm curious what methods you all use for hangers for the pipes and sway bracing in such a scenario? Does anybody have any details that you could share? Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have looked at that option. We were wondering if it is common to have uni-strut placed in the concrete prior to pouring the slab? The fitters would like to have more wiggle room in cause on the job adjustments need to be made. especially since we wont be allowed to penetrate the concrete once it has been poured. Would Uni-strut work for the sway bracing also?

The HDI-P work great in non-seismic areas. In seismic, you would need to go with the TZ anchors.

I have seen situations where there was unistrut placed into the concrete prior to pour for the situation you described.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

standard anchors powers,red heads,hilti work just fine have put them in quite a few post tension jobs tell your fitters to wrap duct tape around the drill bit so they don't over drill. and if your working in california make sure they are on the fire marshall approved list

Hilti short drop ins for concrete for 4" pipe and below.

Red heads work good for your 1/2" anchors.

Casting unistrut or J hooks into the slab is really only a guarantee your pipe will need to be somewhere else when it comes time to install. Concrete anchors give you flexibility so when the architect changes his or her mind you can actually get the job done.

TravisMack is correct. While the short Hilti drop in anchors work great for non seismic areas, you still need the quick bolts for seismic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back