Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hanging a structure from steel frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural
May 13, 2009
IS
Hi
I'm working with architects that want to hang steel boxes from a series of steel frames. What is the best to to transfer the loads that will be added to the frames as a result of these hanging boxes. I feel like they are just adding weight to the structure and making everything unnecessarily hard by not choosing to use columns to support the box from underneath. Please comment.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps if you defined your problem better, better advice could be given. Hanging "steel boxes" from "steel frames" sounds perfectly reasonable, but means nothing without further explanation.

Hi 9,

I once came across something that sounds similar to what you're saying. An old university lecturer once told that he had a high rise and the architect wanted minimalist columns to maximise clear line of site on the open plan spaces.

So they built columns to act in tension. There were three storeys contained in each 'box unit' and those units were in turn hung from massive concrete girders which spanned to massive columns on the building outline.

My point is, your architect probably wants to keep the columns as skinny as possible for aesthetic reasons.

If you are too lazy to even follow up your own post then you are probably not the person for the job and you should probably pass it on to someone else.

An enthusiastic engineer who was focused on the solutions rather than the problems is the type that is needed for this type of thing.

Maybe they hanged him instead of the boxes. hehe. kidding aside, as structural engineers we have to accept that architects are always there to stop making our lives easier. Of course best is to hang them in the columns but what is best for us might not be best as far as architecture is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back